Start the New Year Living Well! Chef Kenneth Shares a Delicious (and Nutritious) Recipe for 2022
December 23, 2021
Residents at Paul’s Run enjoy having convenient access to five-star dining with fresh, local ingredients. To ensure that residents get a delicious (and nutritious) start to their New Year, Chef Kenneth is sharing one of his favorite recipes that is sure to keep you warm this winter.
Chef Kenneth’s Classic Bolognese Recipe (With a Healthy Twist)
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- ¾ lb ground turkey (or lean ground beef, if you prefer)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 cup/ 250 ml whole milk
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 7 whole canned plum tomatoes (about 1 ½ cup), cut up
- In a heavy saucepan, add extra virgin olive oil and onions. Heat on medium. Cook and stir the onions until translucent about 5 minutes, then add celery and carrots. Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey (or lean ground beef, if you prefer). Add a large pinch kosher salt and ground black pepper. Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat. Stir well until meat is no longer raw and it loses its red color.
- Add milk and let it come to a gentle simmer. Stir frequently until milk has completely bubbled away. Stir in nutmeg.
- Add wine and let it simmer until it has completely evaporated, then stir in the plum tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes come to a gentle bubble, turn heat down to a very low simmer. Cook sauce, uncovered, for 3 hours or so.
- Taste the bolognese sauce and correct for salt.
- Toss with your favorite cooked and drained pasta with a side of Parmesan.
Have you heard about the NEW Dining Room and Bistro at Paul’s Run?!
An exciting new development for 2022, Chef Kenneth and the culinary team are thrilled for residents to experience this exceptional dining venue that is unlike any other retirement community in Northeast Philadelphia. The newly renovated Dining Room and Bistro gives residents a wide variety of dining options that tie in local favorites like a full-service deli with built-to-order sandwiches, and a grill with freshly-made Philly cheesesteaks.
Also included in this exciting new development are specialty stations featuring new dishes each week such as stir fries, pasta bars, carving stations, as well as a hearth pizza oven for made-to-order pizzas. The new dining room layout is also designed to enhance social engagement so residents can relax and enjoy the company of friends.
Meet Chef Kenneth and Discover His Five-Star Culinary Experience at Paul’s Run!
For Executive Chef at Paul’s Run, Kenneth Masten, creating five-star quality meals is not just his job, it’s his passion. From working alongside Iron Chef and James Beard Award winner, Chef Jose Garces, to creating innovative recipes at The Rittenhouse Hotel, Chef Kenneth has quite an impressive history in the culinary world.
“My interest for food and cooking first began with my foster mom,” Chef Kenneth explains. “Everything she made tasted good. She never made a bad meal and I really appreciated that. It sparked a fire in me to make food that makes you feel good,” he adds. Chef Kenneth began his culinary journey at a catering company in South Philadelphia. From there, he worked in the Rittenhouse Hotel, where he created five-star dishes in an upscale restaurant.
Possibly one of his most exciting jobs was working alongside renowned Iron Chef, Jose Garces, who not only has a James Beard Award, but owns and operates numerous restaurants in Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Times Square in New York City. Gaining valuable experience, Chef Kenneth would also help cater large events with Jose Garces Events at The Kimmel Center in Philadelphia, where he says every opportunity was filled with excitement.
Finding Paul’s Run…
As Chef Kenneth brings his rich culinary history to Paul’s Run, he is thrilled to work in this warm, welcoming community. “I enjoy the people at Paul’s Run. There are so many unique personalities here. It makes every day exciting,” he affirms.
Part of what makes his work so exciting is getting to know residents throughout the community. Starting at Paul’s Run in October of 2020, Chef Kenneth has made fulfilling friendships as residents share their remarkable stories and compliment his exquisite meals.
I enjoy making the residents happy and seeing them smile. When they tell me this is the best meal they’ve ever had, that makes my day. The residents at Paul’s Run are worldly and they’ve had cuisine from so many different countries throughout their lifetime. When my meals remind them of a certain time in their lives that’s really rewarding.Executive Chef at Paul’s Run, Kenneth Masten